Our ethics and values have driven the very core of our operation from our very first season in 2007. And the overall approach in our operations has always been highly respectful of the environment. It has always been our goal to ensure your wildlife adventure counts for the good of research and conservation. We strive to ensure that every aspect of our operation is environmentally sustainable.
We Respect The Whales
- We support, advocate and conduct responsible whale watching & wildlife viewing
- We are “Whale Wise” and practice safe whale watching
- We operate one larger boat as opposed to multiple vessels to minimize our impact on the whales and other marine wildlife and our carbon footprint. This being at the very core of our ethics and values.
- We follow and exceed best practices, that go above and beyond industry and government laws and regulations for watching marine wildlife.
- We have experienced crew who monitor and lookout for the wellbeing of the marine wildlife, reporting any concerns and entanglements to the Department of Fisheries & Oceans Canada.
- We have certified marine naturalists onboard who relay ID photos and sightings data to the Marine Education & Research Society and the B.C. Cetacean Sightings Network
- We foster Whale Adoption Programs – please ask how YOU can help the whales
We are eco-conscious & practice sustainability
- We are highly respecful of our environment and are committed to conducting and advocating environmentally responsible whale watching
- We aim to ensure that every tour counts towards education, research & conservation
- We aim to ensure that every aspect of our operation is environmentally sustainable, encouraging and rewarding staff for introducing new initiatives
- We request and encourage guests to bring re-usable water bottles, providing bulk drinking water dispensers both in the office and onboard
- We share facts regarding the increasing toxin levels recorded in our whale and marine mammal populations and the devastating affects that pollution is having on the fragile marine eco system.
We will always put YOUR Safety & comfort first
- We require our Captains to be certified 60 tonne Captains and experienced mariners familiar with our BC coastal waters.
- Our boats are all Transport Canada Approved and all the safety equipment onboard undergoes rigorous inspections before the start of each season.
- We ensure that our Captains and their crew are trained in all aspects of marine safety, including emergency marine duty training and regular safety drills.
- We implement all required industry and government regulated safety protocols.
- We have a COVID-19 Safety plan in place a copy of which is available for viewing here.
- We are proud recipients of the World Tourism Council Safe Travels Stamp.
We respect and value all members of our team
- We recognize the values of our dedicated team and respect each member, working with them to develop their individual strengths, values and career paths.
- We are proud that the majority of our team have been with us or affiliated with us for many years and are very much part of the Discovery Marine Safaris family. All sharing our ethics and values.
We value & support our local community
- We recognize the importance and value of a community, it’s culture and history.
- We support local teams, not for profits and fund raising events that benefit members of the community
- We support a broad education and environmental awareness for our young community members through specialized school group tours.
- We volunteer and support community and industry events.
Above all – We value YOU our guests
- We value the importance of customer service and meeting our guests needs.
- We value the importance of transparency in tour descriptions and costs and will always include a total cost to avoid any hidden surprises
- We value and encourage engagement and feedback that allows us to improve the overall experience.
- We value, appreciate and encourage reviews and referrals and will attempt to respond to guests enquiries and communications within 48 hours.